Event Management Software
What is an event management system?
Wikipedia defines ‘Event management software’ as
“… the generic term for a wide range of software products that are used in the management of professional and academic conferences, trade exhibitions, conventions and smaller events such as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) meetings….”
Events fall into many categories including professional, social, sporting, entertainment, academic, trade and career events amongst others each requiring the organisation and management of resources. Over many years software platforms have been developed to assist in this process, and, up until 2020, most concentrated on the management of physical things like travel, accommodation, venues, catering and functions. Covid-19 created a paradigm shift in the way conferences and events are organised and staged with a global shift to the virtual world. Prior to 2020 traditional event management software paid little attention to virtual events, however, everything changed, and systems needed to be built to accommodate the new reality in which travel is restricted and people are reluctant to gather in large groups or are prevented from doing so by legislation.
What are the key elements of virtual conference software?
The essential requirements for a successful virtual conference require event management software that includes:
- Conference construction
- Customised conference landing pages
- Customised ticket selling pages
- Event marketing
- Event schedule planning
- Program construction
- Customisable ticketing options
- Inbuilt payment processing platform
- Team consolidation and management
- Automated presenter management
- Comprehensive sponsor options
- Lead generation for sponsors
- Automatic presenter recording and upload capability
- Communication channels between management, presenters and attendees
- Live Q&A functionality
- Pre-recorded and hybrid options
- Poster gallery with poster presenter video recording options
- On-demand viewing post event
- Audience response solutions, live slide sharing and second screen tools as live polls
- Content management including abstract and/or paper management,
- Interactive checklists to monitor progress
- Dashboards for all participants including attendees
- CPD monitoring and reporting
- Analytics covering all important aspects
- COST EFFICIENCY
Costs vary widely across different providers and it is wise to investigate all costs before deciding on a solution. Many companies have charges for each of their services including, software platform subscription, number of hours, number of days, number of attendees, poster galleries, sponsor booths, customised web pages, 3rd party software integration, live streaming costs, special assistance with the conference build, assistance on the day of the event, post-event data storage etc., etc., etc,
Ensure you understand all the costs before signing up!!
An effective event management system should include all the features you require to run your conference and should not cost you the earth.