1. We Respect Your Privacy
At The Virtual Conference Network the security of personal information that we collect is of utmost importance to us.
2. What kinds of personal information does THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we collect will vary depending upon our interaction with you but may include:
- your name, address and other contact details (like your telephone number);
- your email address;
- your date of birth;
- your gender;
- transaction details relating to any purchase(s) that you have made with us or that have been made on your behalf;
- credit card details, if you make a purchase with us or choose to have these stored in your online THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK account to make the checkout process faster;
- your THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK username;
- any preferences that you select; and
- any other personal information which may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
3. How does THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK collect personal information?
Generally, we collect personal information when you:
- make a purchase through our network which includes our website and mobile site.
- register as a THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK member via our website, mobile site or THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK App;
- participate in a THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK survey, competition, promotion or other marketing campaign;
- indicate that you wish to receive news, offers or other marketing material from The Virtual Conference Network;
- sign up to a waitlist or an event
- use certain features accessible from THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK App;
- make an inquiry or a complaint;
- have other dealings with us, for example, via social media or in person, over the phone or when you write to us.
In certain circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you in the course of combining and analysing different data sets which, in and of themselves, may not contain personal information.
Sometimes we collect personal information about you from other sources, for example:
- our related companies;
- people making a purchase on your behalf; or,
- third party suppliers and contractors who assist us to operate our business, such as:
- information technology suppliers
- marketing and digital services suppliers
- research and development organisations
- data partners
- analytics consultants; and
- publicly available sources of information
Also, from time to time THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK collects personal information about individuals who are not customers. This is usually where we collect the name and business contact details of a person who is the contact in a government agency or company with whom we deal. The Virtual Conference Network ‘s policy is to only use personal information collected from non-customers for the main business purpose for which it was collected.
4. How does THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK hold personal information?
THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may hold your personal information in electronic or hard copy format or a combination of both. This personal information may be combined or linked with other information held about, or which we attribute to, you, including:
- information (personal or otherwise) that we collect from our website and mobile site (as described below in relation to “Cookies, Tracking and Advertising”) or from third parties; and
- personal information we receive from our group companies and client businesses, who, in common with us, have a relationship with you and where we understand that you have consented to such group companies and client businesses sharing your personal information with us.
We have taken a number of physical, electronic and procedural steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK protects the personal information it collects in a secure database stored by our third-party data storage provider. It is in proprietary data format, which can only be read using proprietary tools.
Data collected online is stored in a Amazon Web Services database; a protected, secure data centre that is unreachable by the internet. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK encrypts data sent from your computer to our systems during internet transactions. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK also employs firewalls, intrusion detection systems and virus scanning tools to protect against unauthorised persons and viruses from entering our systems.
THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK employees are required, as a condition of their employment, to treat personal information held by THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK as confidential, and to maintain the confidentiality of that personal information. They are also required sign in and use a password when accessing THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK systems and to undertake training about how to manage personal information.
5. What are the purposes for which THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
Generally, THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK only uses personal information for the primary purpose for which we have collected it, or for another closely related secondary purpose. Our potential uses of personal information which THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK collects (and for which you consent to us using your personal information for) may include:
- to process and fulfil your bookings (or other items) from us;
- to contact you if there is an event cancellation or change in event details;
- to get a better understanding of you, your needs, your behaviours and how you interact with us in order to identify ways in which we can provide you with a better service, or enhance your experience of our website and mobile site or other services;
- managing your dealings with us as a THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK member;
- so that we can promote our products and services to you and the products and services of third parties that we deal with;
- to allow our related companies to promote their products and services to you and those of their partners;
- so that venue operators and promoters of events for which you purchase access can use it for operational purposes;
- detecting and preventing fraud and unauthorised access code onselling;
- for business research and development of new products and services, including for THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK members and our business clients;
- to facilitate the competitions, special offers and promotions that we or our partners run;
- displaying content and advertising in relation to events that is customised to your interests, preferences and experiences, including through online targeted marketing, data and audience matching and market segmentation activities;
- verifying your identity;
- so that we can respond to inquiries and complaint handling; and
- for the conduct of data analytics and predicting trends;
- marketing services in connection with the products and services we provide; and
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and enforce our legal rights.
Sometimes THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK will produce aggregated data. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may also receive aggregated data from its third-party suppliers and contractors or business customers. This aggregated data does not identify individuals. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK uses, and may combine, the aggregated data it produces and receives for research purposes and in connection with products and services we provide to our business clients.
From time to time, there may be other purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information. We will tell you about these at the point of collection.
6. Direct Marketing and Research
As set out above, THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may use personal information about you for marketing and research purposes. However, you can manage your THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK communication preferences within your THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK account if you are an online customer. In addition, the marketing communications that we send to you may also contain information on how to unsubscribe from those communications.
You can also tell us at any time if you do not want us to disclose your details to other organisations such as our related companies or third parties for marketing purposes
7. Who might THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK disclose my personal information to?
THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may disclose your personal information:
- to venue operators and to promoters of events for which you make bookings. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK discloses your personal information to such organisations for operational purposes and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their events by ordinary post. If you consent, these organisations may use this information to provide you with promotional and marketing material about their events via email. You may change your preference to receive email marketing at any time directly with the organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can contact The Virtual Conference Network directly;
- to sponsors who (unless they obtain a separate consent from you) use it for operational purposes only, for example, to provide you with additional information about the event or venue that you are attending; and
- to other The Virtual Conference Network Pty Limited and their contractors (such as data management providers). THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may disclose your personal information to these entities for the purposes of, for example, ensuring that information collected is accurate, complete and up-to-date, producing anonymised and aggregated information for the benefit of other companies, and enabling us and other companies to better understand and meet your needs and interests.
- to third party contractors and service providers who help us operate our business or provide a service to you. THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK may disclose your personal information to third party contractors and service providers who, for example, help us operate our computer systems, provide us with fraud prevention services, send out our mail/email and clean collected data and who perform data analysis to group demographic attributes of individuals.
Otherwise, THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK will only disclose your personal information:
- where we are required to do so by law;
- if the disclosure is permitted under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); or
- if you have consented to the disclosure.
8. What happens if THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK does not collect my personal information?
Where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will give you the option of not providing personal information, or of using a pseudonym, when you deal with The Virtual Conference Network.
However, if we do not collect personal information about you at the point of sale or when you interact with us, this could impact the level of service we can provide to you, for example, we will not be able to contact you in the case of an event cancellation or venue change or we may not be able to properly respond to your inquiry or investigate your complaint or fully process your transaction.
9. Cookies, Tracking and Advertising
Sometimes our website or mobile site contains links to third party websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a non-THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK website, please understand that THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK is not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
To try and bring you offers that are of interest to you, THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK has relationships with other companies that we allow to place advertisements on our web pages. If you visit our website or mobile site, ad serving companies may collect information such as your domain type, your IP address and clickstream information.
10. Access and Correction
Under the Australian Privacy Principles, you have a right to request access to the personal information that THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK holds about you and seek its correction. If you are a THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK member, you are able to access or correct some of your personal information by logging onto our website (www.thevircon.com). Please include your contact details such as email address and telephone number and enclose a copy of a form of identification such as a current driver’s licence or passport. We will not charge you for making such a request but will let you know if there is a cost for supplying you with access to or correcting the personal information. We aim to respond to requests for access or correction within 30 days. There are certain situations under the Australian Privacy Principles where we may refuse to provide you with access to or correct your personal information, but we will always let you know in writing if this is the case.
11. International Privacy Laws.
13. EEA, SWITZERLAND AND UK ONLY
The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
In May 2018, a new data privacy law known as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (or the “GDPR”) went into effect. The GDPR requires The Virtual Conference Network and Organizers using the Service to provide Users with more information about the processing of their Personal Data.
Here is what you need to know:
Legal grounds for processing your Personal Data
The GDPR requires us to tell you about the legal ground we are relying on to process any Personal Data about you. The legal grounds for us processing your Personal Data for the purposes will typically be because:
- you provided your consent;
- it is necessary for our contractual relationship;
- the processing is necessary for us to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations; and/or
- the processing is in our legitimate interest as an event organizing and ticketing platform (for example, to protect the security and integrity of our systems and to provide you with customer service, etc.).
Personal Data retention
We retain your Personal Data for as long as necessary to provide you with our Services, or for other important purposes such as complying with legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements.
If you have an account with us, we will typically retain your Personal Data for a period of ninety (90) days after you have requested that your account is closed or if it’s been inactive for seven (7) years.
Data protection law provides you with rights in respect of Personal Data that we hold about you, including the right to request a copy of the Personal Data, request that we rectify, restrict or delete your Personal Data, object to profiling and unsubscribe from marketing communications.
For the most part, you can exercise these rights by changing the “cookie settings” in your browser (see our Cookie Statement for more information). There may be circumstances where we are not legally required to comply with your request because of the laws in your jurisdiction or because of exemptions provided for in data protection legislation.
If you have a complaint about how we handle your Personal Data, please get in touch with us as set forth in Sections 3, 4, 5 6, 7, and 8 to explain. If you are not happy with how we have attempted to resolve your complaint, you may contact the relevant data protection authority.
The Virtual Conference Network as a data controller and a data processor
EU data protection law makes a distinction between organizations that process Personal Data for their own purposes (known as “data controllers”) and organizations that process personal data on behalf of other organizations (known as “data processors”). If you have a question or complaint about how your Personal Data is handled, these should always be directed to the relevant data controller since they are the ones with primary responsibility for your Personal Data.
The Virtual Conference Network may act as either a data controller or a data processor in respect of your Personal Data, depending on the circumstances.
For example, if you create an account with us to organize your events, The Virtual Conference Network will be a data controller in respect of the Personal Data that you provide as part of your account. We will also be a data controller of the Personal Data that we have obtained about the use of the Applications or The Virtual Conference Network Properties, which could relate to Organizers or Consumers. We use this to conduct research and analysis to help better understand and serve Users of the Services as well as to improve our platform and provide you with more targeted recommendations about events we think may be of interest to you.
However, if you register for an event as a Consumer, we will process your Personal Data to help administer that event on behalf of the Organizer (for example, sending confirmation, promotional and feedback emails, processing payments, etc.) and to help the Organizer target, and understand the success of, their event and event planning (for example, providing event reports, using analytics to gain insights into the effectiveness of various sales channels, etc.). In these circumstances, The Virtual Conference Network merely provides the tools for Organizers; The Virtual Conference Network does not decide what Personal Data to request on registration forms, nor is it responsible for the continued accuracy any Personal Data provided. Any questions that you may have relating to your Personal Data and your rights under data protection law should therefore be directed to the Organizer as the data controller, not to The Virtual Conference Network.
14. Collection Statement – Registration and Booking
(required under Australian Privacy Principle (“APP”) 5)
15. Uses of your personal information
The primary purpose for which THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK is collecting your personal information is to provide you with registration and booking services such as to process any booking you may have made with us, and to contact you if there is an event cancellation or change in event details, or for the replacement of lost access codes.
You agree that we may also use your personal information for related secondary purposes including to:
- get a better understanding of you, your needs, your behaviours, and how you interact with us in order to identify ways in which we can provide you with a better service, or enhance your experience of our website and mobile site or other services;
- manage your dealings with us as a THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK member;
- allow venue operator and promoters of events for which you register to use it for operational purposes and, with your consent, marketing and promotional purposes;
- for business research and development of new products and services, including for THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK members and our business clients
- for the conduct of data analytics and predicting trends
- display content and advertising (including in relation to events) that is customised to your interests, preferences & experiences, including through online targeted marketing, data and audience matching, and market segmentation activities.
- send marketing and promotional material about our products and/or services (or the products and/or services of our Related Bodies Corporate) that we believe you may be interested in;
- engage in marketing services in connection with the product and services we provide;
- fulfil purposes otherwise required/permitted by law (including the Privacy Act); and
If you don’t provide us with the personal information requested or the information provided is incorrect or incomplete, this could impact the level of service we are able to provide to you. For example, we will not be able to contact you in the case of an event cancellation or venue change.
16. Disclosures of your personal information to third parties
We may disclose your personal information to the following organisations for the purposes described above (as well as otherwise permitted or required under Australian law):
- The Virtual Conference Network ‘s Related Bodies Corporate;
- The Virtual Conference Network ‘s agents and other third parties’ contractors who carry out functions for us (including but not limited to, hosting, email marketing and/or data processing providers);
- venue operators and promoters of events for which you make bookings; and
17. Disclosures of your personal information to overseas recipients
Some recipients to whom we disclose your personal information may be based overseas, although countries where such recipients are located may vary.
By accepting this Collection Statement, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to overseas recipients.
- how you may access or correct any of your personal information collected by The Virtual Conference Network; and
- how you may lodge a complaint with THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK for a breach of any APP or APP code, and how THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK will action such complaint.
If you have any queries, concerns or other questions regarding The Virtual Conference Network ‘s collection of your personal information, please contact The Virtual Conference Network at: firstname.lastname@example.org
19. Complaints and how to contact us
- e-mail at email@example.com
- letter to Level 19, 10 Eagle Street, Brisbane QLD 4000
We will always endeavour to investigate your complaint and respond to you as soon as practicable after receipt, generally within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may refer the matter to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Last updated 5th May 2020
*THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK means THE VIRTUAL CONFERENCE NETWORK Pty Ltd, ABN 86 638 953 732